Friday, April 17, 2015

One on One with: Ryan Khoury (4/16/15)

With the minor league season beginning (Pawtucket just won tonight on a walk-off home run by Bryce Brentz) there's always time to interview ex and current players. I caught up with former Sox prospect Ryan Khoury to ask him about how he came up through the system. Khoury was known for being the first of his draft class to reach Pawtucket, doing it in the same year he was drafted. Not many people know about the actual draft process and getting call-ups so let's give a big thank you to Ryan for his time.


TSH - How were you scouted in high school? Were there guys from MLB and college or just college calling about you? As an add on, if you had a choice of Utah or turning pro, what made you decide to go Utah?

RK - I wasn't really scouted in high school.  I was 5'8 and about 130 lbs so I went to a lot of the travel tournaments and a camp at Stanford but the only offers I had were from Junior Colleges.  I actually walked on at Utah because academics were important to me and I didn't want to go to a JC.  I ended up starting at shortstop as a true freshmen, so I got a baseball scholarship after that.  
 
TSH - While you were at Utah, were you scouted by many teams besides the Red Sox or was it just them?
 
RK - My junior year in college the Red Sox were one of the only teams calling me.  They only came out to see me play once and I didn't hear from them before the draft that year.  My senior year I had a really good year and was an All-American, so I heard from most of the teams and had no idea who was going to draft me.  The Red Sox called the day before the draft but I hadn't talked to them much that year so it was surprising when they drafted me.
 
TSH - Could you explain the draft process? As in, how do you enter the MLB draft and how did you know you were drafted by Boston?
 
RK - The draft process is crazy, you don't really enter it, just everyone who is eligible goes in the pool.  I was following along with the draft online and that is how I found out the Red Sox were the team that drafted me.
 
TSH - Usually when I read a media guide it says "So and So" was signed by scout "So and So"....who was the scout that signed you?
 
RK - My scout was a guy named Brian Johnson.  I never met him and he actually got fired or quit that same year that I was drafted haha     
 
TSH - What was it like going from Utah to Lowell? What member of the organization told you where to go and why that level?
 
 
RK - Utah to Lowell was a big change obviously.  Living in the dorms and not having a car or anywhere around to eat was a big adjustment.  The baseball was awesome and the stadium/fans were great.  My scout I believe was the one who told me I was going to be assigned to Lowell and I flew straight there from home.
 
TSH - Did you make any friends while you were at Lowell? If so, any funny stories that are printable?
 
RK - Yes I made some great friends in Lowell.  That was my draft class so some of my good friends I met in Lowell.  Aaron Bates, Zach Daeges, Jon Still, Justin Masterson (TSH: Yes, THAT Justin Masterson), Zack Farkes are guys that come to mind.  I wasn't there the whole year, so I was all over the place and met a ton of guys my first year.
 
TSH - How did you get promoted from Lowell to Greenville, as in who told you?
 
RK - Bruce Crabbe (TSH: Current Pawtucket coach) was our manager in Lowell and he was the one who told me I was being promoted to both Greenville and Pawtucket.
 
8. Did you make any friends at Greenville and any funny stories printable?
 
RK - I was only in Greenville for like 10 days at the end of the season.  So not many stories from there.
 
TSH - How did you get to Pawtucket so soon in 2006? Usually players take years to get there and you did it in the same draft year. 
 
 
RK - I got called up to Pawtucket basically to sit on the bench and be an extra player because a guy had just retired the day before. When I got there, a couple other guys got hurt.  I think I made a good initial impression and so I ended up playing like 8-10 games at shortstop.  Funny story:  My first start was after a long road trip.  Pawsox manager Ron Johnson called me in his office:
  
 
RJ- "You are starting at 2B, can you handle that?"
Me-  "Sure, wherever you need me to play."
RJ- "Isn't that where you played in Lowell?"
Me- "Actually, I haven't played 2B since middle school, I have always played SS."
"Rj"- "Ok, where do you want to play"
Me- "I will play anywhere you want"
RJ "Kid, this is the only time you will ever get to choose where you want to play, so take advantage of it.  I will put you whichever you want. Make a decision."
Me- "Okay, I want to play Short"
We were out at BP and he came up and said, "Hey kid, you scared?  Well don't worry about it cuz nobody expects you to get a hit, and if it is a close game late, I'm going to pinch hit for you anyway!"  It was crazy, I actually went to AAA before single or AA.  I believe I was the first player in my draft class to play in AAA.  
 
TSH - Who was the best player you saw (in the Sox system) in your six years in the organization?
 
RK - Best player, that is tough. Big Papi and Manny rehabbed with us but that doesn't count.  Probably Dustin Pedroia,  he played 2B when I was at SS that first year in Pawtucket.  He was really helpful to me and he was fun to watch.  Anthony Rizzo probably had the most raw power I had ever seen.  Daniel Bard had the best stuff as a pitcher for sure he was fun to watch.  There was a ton of talent in those years in the minors so there were a bunch of great players
       
TSH - How did you go from Pawtucket all the way down to Lancaster for 2007? 
 
RK - Going to Lancaster was just my natural progression.  I ended up staying in AAA my first year for almost a month,  but it was just to fill in. So,  I still had to work my way up from the bottom.
 
TSH - I remember that year balls were flying out of the park. How was it to play with the greatest offensive team in the league and any good stories that can be printed?
 
RK - 2007 was one of the most fun years I have ever had playing.  We put up crazy numbers.  I know that is a hitters park, but we broke records that were over 50 years old from teams playing on the same fields so it was really special group.  I think we had 5 different guys hit over 20 homers.  At one point in July, all 9 hitters in our lineup were hitting over .300, which is unheard of and I have never seen since. Our staff was awesome and mostly every guy on the squad I became friends with.  In Pro ball, you don't really get that so it was an awesome experience because we were so good and also everyone on the team got along.
 
TSH - Once again, how did you get promoted from Lancaster to Portland in 2008?
 
 
 
RK- In 2008, I was sent to Portland right out of Spring Training.  So I was just told by the Minor League personnel guy that's where I was being assigned.
 
TSH - You bounced between Portland and Pawtucket in 2010 and 2011, was that painful to go through constantly going to and from?
 
RK - Yes, I was pretty tough because I didn't really get a chance to play much in Pawtucket that year.  Going back and forth was not a big deal because we as players are used to that.  But I just needed a shot to play in AAA consistently and didn't really get it, so that was the hardest part.
 
TSH - What are you up to these days?
 
RK - I played Independent ball in Wichita, KS for the last 3 years.  I am a Realtor and also run our Property Management company in Salt Lake City, UT. So I am just enjoying learning about the Real Estate business and starting to build a business and a brand.  I also got married in 2013 to my wife Jessica.
        
TSH - How did you go about hiring an agent, did someone call you or did you seek one out?
 
RK - My agent was referred to me by a family friend, who owned the bat company Zinger.  They worked with a lot of agents through that, and so that is how i got connected with my agent.
 
So there you have it folks. Ryan went from Utah U to Pawtucket in the same year, was apart of the greatest slugging minor league team ever and was told flat out by former Pawsox manager Ron Johnson he was going to be pinch hit for anyway. Today he sells real estate but let's not forget his contributions to the 2007 Jethawks or his years in the system. If any of you reading this are from Salt Lake City, you may want to check with Ryan if you want to buy a house. I'm sure he'll lead you in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment