Monday, May 2, 2016

One on one with Danny Bethea (5/2/16)


Me: How were you scouted in high school and what made you go to St. John's instead of the majors right away?

Danny:  I was not scouted in high school at all so I didn't get the chance to get into professional baseball at a young age. St. John's was beneficial to me because it allowed my body to get bigger and stronger, develop my skills, and learn from the best coaching staff in the nation.
 

Me: Were there lots of scouts who wanted you while at St. John's and if so, why did you choose Boston?

Danny:  I did not gain any interest from scouts until my senior season at St. John's University, but there were teams that showed interest during that year. I am very thankful and humble that the Boston Red Sox chose me in the 2013 MLB draft.
 
Me: Who was the scout that signed you to the Red Sox and how did that happen, as in what was discussed?

Danny: The scout that signed me, his name is Ray Fagnant. Ray works the northeast area for the Boston organization and scouted me during my time at St. John's. Ray informed me that the Red Sox were interested and we would have to wait and see what happens during draft day. I still keep in touch with Ray, he is a great guy.
 

Me: What was it like at Gulf Coast and how did you get promoted to Lowell? I don't mean by hitting well I mean how did you find out and what was the process like?

Danny:  Getting promoted in professional baseball is an exciting time for you and your manager. Usually, after the game that is played either that day/night that manager calls you into his office and asks you to sit down. After a short talk, he informs you that you have been promoted and are heading to the next affiliate. That's exactly what happened when I got promoted from the gcl to lowell, it was an exciting time.

 
Me: The past few years you played for Lowell, Greenville and Portland, could you describe how you kept getting promoted and what was involved?

Danny: I was fortunate enough to play on a few different teams last year, it was a great experience. I was able to play with a lot of friends throughout the organization and experience different ballparks and cities.

 

Me: Who are some of your best friends in the organization?

Danny:  Because I've played with different teams last year, I was able to make a good amount of friends. Tim Roberson, Kevin heller, David Chester, Jantzen Witte, Joe Gunkel, Jordan Betts, Jake Romanski, Chandler Shepherd, just to name a few.
 

Me: Do you get a pay raise every time you go up a level?

Danny: The only pay raise happens when you make the jump from A ball to AA ball.
 

Me: What else can you tell me about getting promoted and the atmosphere when you come to a new team?

Danny: Being promoted is an awesome experience and it was always fun to be on a new team. Its great to see friends in the organization that you haven't seen in a while and see the stadium atmosphere.
 

Me: Do you still maintain a relationship with the scout that signed you?

Danny: Yes, I still keep in touch with the scout that signed me. Ray is a first class individual and a great guy.
 

Me: You mentioned you had no idea what will happen this season. Let's say you bat .300 and they send you down to Greenville or Portland. Do you know why they put you in a specific place, like its in your contract or is it where they feel G or P is best for your development?

Danny: I will show up to wherever and do the best that I can, and trust the organization will do the best for me and the success of the team.


Thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment